Community: Arcadia PD awarded Traffic Grant from California Office of Traffic Safety
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 10, 2020
Lt. Brett Bourgeous, email@example.com, (626) 574-5156
Arcadia Police Department Awarded $67,000. Grant From the OTS
Arcadia, Calif. – The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to the Arcadia Police Department. The $67,000. grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in the Arcadia Police Department’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on Arcadia roads.
“These are trying times, and now more than ever, it is important that we are at the forefront of traffic safety,” Arcadia Police, Lieutenant, Brett Bourgeous said. “This funding allows us to educate and enhance the safety of all residents.”
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1, 2020 to Sept. 30, 2021.
The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
• Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug-impaired driving prevention.
• Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
• Patrols with emphasis on education of traffic rights for bicyclists and pedestrians.
• Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals, improper turning/lane changes.
• Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speed, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
• Collaborative efforts with neighboring agencies on traffic safety priorities.
• Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
“Through education and behavior changes, we hope to create an environment that is safe and equitable for all road users in our community,” Lieutenant Bourgeous said.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
# # #