The City of Arcadia’s Economic Development Manager Jerry Schwartz was honored last week with a prestigious Golden Apple for being an Outstanding Parent Volunteer Parent at the San Gabriel Unified School District.
Schwartz, whose oldest son Aaron is a freshman year at the University of California Berkeley, and whose younger son Benjamin is a sophomore at Gabrielino High School and was part of a Rose Parade marching band last month, has been chairman of the District’s Long Range Facilities Master Plan Oversight Committee for six years. Both sons attended San Gabriel USD schools since Kindergarten. His wife, Karen Jacobson, is an English Teacher at Alhambra High School.
Schwartz was presented the tribute by Superintendent Dr. David Yoshihara Thursday morning at the annual event in the Sunset Room of the Santa Anita Golf Course.
The Arcadia Chamber of Commerce’s monthly Networking Breakfast held in the same room moves to the cafe downstairs every year to make way for the regional recognition event for multiple school districts, including Arcadia Unified. Schwartz has provided many hours of consulting help each month for several years to the newly-established Arcadia Improvement Association, a Community Benefits District for the downtown area, and attends and contributes at the the monthly Arcadia Chamber Government Affairs Forum, among the many City and Chamber activities he supports.
In an announcement of the tribute to Schwartz on the district’s web site, it says that Schwartz exemplifies an outstanding supporter of the San Gabriel USD schools and the District. He attributes his wealth of knowledge on facilities and construction as well as bond issuances to the District’s stakeholders for better understanding and decision making.
Not only in the area of facilities, Mr. Schwartz also volunteers at every level to enhance the educational experience of all students. His extensive volunteer work includes the following:
Washington Elementary School
- Site Council – Chairman, two years; Member, two years
- PTA – Treasurer, two years
- Science Olympiad – Volunteer Event Coach, five years
- Reviewed Washington Elementary Distinguished School Application. Attended Distinguished
- School Award Dinner as part of Washington delegation.
Jefferson Middle School
- District Budget Task Force – School Representative
- Robotics – Volunteer, two years
Gabrielino High School
- Site Council – Chairman, three years; Member, one year;
- Gabrielino Eagle Marching Regiment – Volunteer, two years
- Gabrielino High School Improvement Committee – Member
- Gabrielino Athletic Booster Club – Member, two years
- Worked with staff on Single Plan for School Achievement
- SGUSD Gate Parent Committee – Chairman, two years
- San Gabriel Unified School District Strategic Plan Weekend Workshop, SGUSD Career Technical Education Committee – Participant
- Volunteer, three school bond issues, including successful Measure S (2002) and Measure A (2008) bonds (both Proposition 39 bonds)