Erenay Design Build – Weighing the Pros and Cons on Deciding how Smart Your Home Should be
As we have all witnessed throughout the last few years, most electronic equipment has become smart with advanced technology. In this article I am going to focus on smart homes.
Smart homes, or home automation, started in the early 2000’s in parallel with internet technology. The idea is to control appliances (thermostats, lights and sprinkler systems), coordinate outlets and manage security systems or other devices remotely by using a smartphone or tablet and internet connection.
Home automation became more popular when it became more affordable. Here are some pros and cons of using this smart system:
- Energy Saving: with automated thermostats, heating and cooling during certain times of day and seasons helps save energy.
- Convenience: one can enjoy the convenience of scheduling a specific time to cool or heat the house and control appliances, like a coffee maker, with your phone or tablet and turn on or off the lights or close blinds from while sitting on the couch.
- Security: controlling an alarm system, lamps, light bulbs or even the blinds can create the illusion of someone in house so as to avoid burglary.
- Practically: depending on how far you want to go with your home automation system, turning on and off a light may require a phone and internet access; an old-fashioned switching on and off the light might be easier.
- Cost: if you decide to use a complex smart home system, it will not be cheap. However, you can simply go to an electronic store and purchase a alarm system, some smart light bulbs or other systems for the affordable budget; just download the apps and activate the system on your own.
Before spending a lot of money, make sure to decide what you really want controlled by an automation house system.
I personally like the smart home security system and smart light bulbs to be used when go on a vacation. I prefer the old-school method when it comes to controlling other electronic equipment. It is totally a personal choice.