Arcadia Chamber President Arlynn Robinson of Century 21 Earll Ltd. and Board Member Joan Francone of ORI Global invited everyone at this morning’s board meeting (Oct. 24, 2013) to the Chamber’s upcoming “A Day at the Races,” Feb. 8, 2014 , at Santa Anita Park race track. For only $50 per person, attendees will get valet parking and meet in a special reserved area, enjoy a buffet lunch, learn how to place bets, and meet racing experts and celebrities. Proceeds will go towards the purchasing of new furnishings for the Chamber.
Other reports at the meeting:
- Councilman Bob Harbicht: Rusnak Mercedes won approval of their expansion project at the Planning Commission Tuesday night. A minimum of $10 million will be spent on this expansion, which will revitalize the area near Santa Anita Avenue. Tonight the dealership is hosting a special event to introduce a new entry level Mercedes model, the CLA 250.
- Arcadia School District, Superintendent Dr. Joel Shawn: Common Core Standards is the state standards for public school and it is being introduced to the Arcadia students this school year. The new district office will be ready next year and they will move to the new offices during Spring break. Arcadia High School gym is getting renovations done including new floors and opening up some of the existing sky lights.
- Downtown Business Association, Matt McSweeny of Matt Denny’s Ale House: Bylaws and paperwork for the new non-profit Community Benefits District being prepared for filing with the State. New maps of the downtown area are now available and will be distributed to local businesses and hotels.
- Real Estate, Andrew Cooper, executive director of Arcadia Association of Realtors: September home sales are lower compared to August. Slow down due to lack of inventory and higher interest rates. Prices of homes are stable and it is a market that favors the buyers. (Click on chart at right to enlarge.)
- Santa Anita Park Race Track: Chamber Immediate Past President Pete Siberell announced 8 more racing days left for the Autumn Meet, and the huge Breeders’ Cup on November 1st and 2nd. There are over 370 volunteers along with students from Arcadia High School. Admission tickets are as low as $10 if purchased in advanced and up to $2,000 to get into the famous recently renovated Chandelier Room. Attendance expected on Nov. 1: 30,000 – 50,000; Saturday, Nov. 2: 50,000-plus.
- Arcadia Chinese Association, Ed Wong, reported their annual fundraiser is on December 21. They are celebrating 31 years serving the community.
- Networking Breakfast, Dr. Nina Getz of Phillips Eye Center: Strong attendance each month, with the new addition of Arcadia Business Icons a welcome and informative addition. Starting next year breakfast will start at earlier at 7:15 instead of 7:30 a.m. to allow additional time for networking. November speaker is Adam Libman.
- Chamber made the top 40 chamber list in the Los Angeles Business Journal Oct. 7 edition.
- Board members voted today to join other local organizations in donating $1,000 to the Arcadia Historical Society’s Thoroughbred Racing Walk of Champions.
- First phase of the Chamber building remodel is scheduled between November 11 – December 3rd. New window blinds, lighting, projection equipment , new walls and doors will be installed.